CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Being Still

Hey Rebecca! If you get bored you can stop reading:)

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

I have heard this verse at least 100 times in my life and it never meant a whole lot to me. It was the main topic in my devotional this morning and I read it with a whole new meaning. I usually have to wait until Ella takes a nap to read my devotional so I can really focus. And honestly, I wasn't even doing a daily devotional until several months after Ella was born. Before Ella, I was too busy and had so much activity in my life that I didn't even notice my need for daily fellowship with Jesus. I am not proud of that but I do know that God uses our circumstances to draw us to Him.

It wasn't until I was home alone with my baby all day that I felt something missing. Aside from my calling to be in Point of Grace, being a stay at home mom was my life's goal. So I was surprised when it didn't completely fulfill me. Anyway, for a while I had too much time to be still and it drove me crazy. Now I am chasing Ella and trying super hard to de-clutter and organize my house. I'm striving to have it all together but sometimes I think God may not let me ever get there. He may keep me this way so that I am always aware of my need for Him.

I hope this is making sense; I do have a point:)
Today when I read that verse I really thought about the meaning and I emphasized the words still and know. I wanted to know more about what being still meant. The footnotes in my bible said this:
"Be still (lit. "to sink" or "to relax") encourages the hearer to stop all struggle and find the peace of faith. Such peace comes only as we acknowledge God's Lordship in our lives and surrender to His will."

So I imagined sinking into my comfy chair and just relaxing and thinking about nothing other than God is God. God is sovereign and holds this entire world in His hands. Even though our society is filled with sin and horrible things are happening, God really IS IN CONTROL! We should care about what is going on and we should be burdened for the salvation of the lost people around us but at the very center of all that we don't have to worry one bit. I think God wants us to just stop sometimes and acknowledge who He is.

I guess that about sums it up. Now I am starving and want to eat my Hawaiian sandwiches!! I'm bringing some to you tonight, Becca:)

2 comments:

the winters

What an encouraging post! I needed to hear that today. The sandwich was great too!!!

Darleen Furrey

Jennifer! Thanks for sharing you heart! I can see you are falling in love with Jesus like you never have before. Isn't it amazing how he enriches your life if you'll just give him yours! I look forward to more of what God is teaching and showing you and thanks for inviting me to enjoy the blessings with you.

Post a Comment